Monday, August 31, 2009

Yummy Yam!



















What a scorcher of a day!! There is still not a cloud in the sky, and I believe the temps reached somewhere around 30 degrees C today in the Bow Valley! Whew!! I couldn't bear the thought of NOT doing something outside today, so I stopped on my way out to Canmore from Red Deer this morning at Yamnuska, to do the Yamnuska Traverse. How fun! I wasn't exactly equipped in my usual gear, however I was able to scrounge some shoes and a pack from the basement in Red Deer - so I didn't have to drive all the way to Canmore and then backtrack. Ha ha! Neither of which will ever be the same! The descent from the peak involves some major scree slopes, and 'skiing' the scree kicks up a ton of fine, limestone powder... which has now permanently whitened the said shoes and pack!! Oh well.
Also, at the base of the east ridge, I was super fortunate to catch up to two fine gentlemen from Calgary, who have done the traverse on many occasions. Larry and Jerry are avid hikers - having hiked everything from Alaska's Chilkoot Trail, to the East Coast Trail in Newfoundland, to trails down into the Grand Canyon. They kindly let me tag along with them, which I'm sure saved me many a route-finding error. Thanks again fellas! It was great to have such friendly folks to enjoy the day with.
I just noticed my face is a little sunburned... but tomorrow is supposed to be a bit cloudier, so with some SPF 50 and a hat, I should be good to go! Go where, you ask?? I'm not sure yet. Guess I better get out the guidebooks and decide on something!
Cheers!

Yamnuska Traverse (east to west)
Time (car to car): 4-1/2 hrs
Distance: ~9km
Elevation Gain: 900m

No comments: