Monday, August 19, 2013

The Hat-Trick Weekend


Wow, the past seventy-two hours has been nothing but outdoor fun!! Yeah!!

It all started Friday, with Sheila, Shawn and I hiking up Read's Tower. Now from the road, it honestly doesn't look like much - a basic buttress of rock, overshadowed by nearby Sparrowhawk and Bogart. And as we were approaching it, I was even beginning to feel a bit sheepish, because I was the one who suggested it and now it was appearing to be quite boring looking.


However, boring it was not! Turns out the entire trail is virtually straight up, with a beauty view of the Spray Valley (which keeps your mind off the steepness!), and the scree slope leading up the tower is littered with amazing fossils! It was a great hike and we had tons of laughs - ask Sheila about the barking 'bear' we encountered sometime.











Of course on Friday night, Sheila outdid herself and cooked us a most fabulous supper.... so we were all fuelled up and ready to go on Saturday morning to The Devil's Thumb.







Talk about a perfect choice of hikes to do on a busy day at Lake Louise! We had the place to ourselves and enjoyed a peaceful lunch while looking down at the crowds below. It was fantastic!



And Sunday, well Sunday was the most awesome girls' day I've had in a long time! Sheila, Caroline, Linda and I giggled our way up Mount St. Piran, and we then lolly-gagged on the sunshiney summit for the better part of the afternoon. I love those ladies and I can't wait to get together with them again! Too much fun!!











Now I have a few more hours of work, and if I'm lucky I'll score some wicked BBQ ribs and homemade cheesecake (Shawn?! LOL!) before I head north. I am super excited to check out the Yukon, and if you don't hear from me until September, don't be alarmed.... there is no internet access or cell service.... but I'll post as soon as I'm back to the real world.
 
Shawn was here!!
 
Have a fantastic couple of weeks everybody! Play safe!!
 
Cheers!
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVELY PICTURE OF SPRAY LAKE and OTHER NICE PICS FROM THE NEXT DAYS,,,,ENJOY YOUR YUKON EXCURSION,,DON'T FORGET YOUR CAMERA,,,,ENJOY !!!! love ya lots cheerio for now,,,dunkster,,,,,19