Friday, December 11, 2009

Parting comments...


I'm back at work... UGH... a necessary evil... and a few quirky thoughts have popped into my mind with respect to our Oz trip:

*We searched and searched through all our bags when we arrived in Australia, looking for our cherished 'Lonely Planet' Australia guide... it took me weeks to find a place to purchase it from, as I specifically wanted the most up-to-date printing of it... last night when we got home, I burst out laughing when I saw it in the middle of the living room floor!! So basically, I have a travel book in very good shape, for sale CHEAP... heh heh...

*I am suffering serious withdrawal from 'flat whites'... I even accidentally asked for one when I stopped at my favorite coffee shop in Eastview this afternoon...

*I loved being called 'doll' by all the older ladies we met... not sure why, but it just seemed like such a super-endearing term... kind of glamorous...

*I've never seen such large, lush fern plants EVER. The rainforest of southeast Oz is captivating!

*I spent hours on the beaches, looking at shells and sandcrabs. A weird fascination, I know... but I am so intrigued by how the shells are all different and beautiful (and sometimes even have little inhabitants!), and I am so amazed by how the cool purple sandcrabs can disappear from sight in an instant...

*I try to pretend that I like winter... by telling myself that I'd rather put a sweater on (be too chilly) than try to function in +30C temps, and by reminding myself of the fun snow sports I love to do... truth is, my feet spent a month in flip-flops, and today they are sore beyond belief after spending only a few hours in boots... and even though it gets EVERYWHERE, I am already missing the sand!!

*Speaking of feet (and did I mention 'quirky'), my toenail polish looks almost as good today as it did when we left... I made a few minor touch-ups along the way, but mostly it withstood the sun, sand and salt water amazingly well... Sally Hansen is one indestructible bee-otch...

*The two trans-Pacific flights were the longest I've been on yet... but I enjoyed every minute of them! Planes are one of my favorite inventions and I love airports and flying. Bonus - the 747 jumbo jet on the way back had a radical paint job - it was bright red with 'roos and 'ranggers and Aboriginal designs.

The majority of Aussies are a good-humored bunch I must say, and in spite of there being soooo many places in the world I would like to see, Australia is definitely one country I want to go back to. Perth, Alice Springs/Ayers Rock, and Tasmania will be on the agenda for next time.

Cheers mate!

No comments: