Monday, January 27, 2020

Stretching the Legs


What a weekend! I spent two incredible days outdoors, stretching the legs and drinking up the Rocky Mountain views. The winter wonderland around Canmore is incredibly beautiful right now, and with the thermometer reading above zero, it was impossible for me to stay inside.

Saturday, I chugged up Ha Ling, but only to the heavily snow loaded slope just above treeline. Call me a chicken-sh*t, but with the Kananaskis Valley avi forecast for the alpine sitting at 'considerable', along with the memory of the heartbreaking passing of a good friend in an avalanche last spring, I stopped and thought about summiting but decided to turn around. I've been to the top several times so I wasn't all that disappointed, plus I was hiking solo so I pushed myself and moved as quickly as my moderately out-of-shape carcass would allow. In the end, I logged close to 600m of elevation gain in about 3km, and was up and back down to the car in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For me that was a pretty good grind!



Can you say 'eye candy'!!



Sunday wasn't nearly as much of a leg burner, and it was way more social. A group of us strapped on the snowshoes and headed out into a secret valley that offered us a stellar day last winter. As expected, this visit was again lovely, but with much warmer temps and a bit less snow.








I was in shirt sleeves
most of the day!


#mountaintherapy  #goodforthesoul





Nobody believed that this all
fits into my 24L Osprey...

All in all, it was a spectacular, much-needed 48 hours in my happy place. *SIGH*  I heart the Rockies!

Cheers.




An amazing cloud formation on my drive home!




No comments: