Thursday, June 7, 2018

What's in a name?


When my good friend Toni said "Hey, do you want to go with me to the Lilac Festival?", my mind immediately filled with images of people dancing around a park, inhaling the sweet fragrance of vibrant green bushes and their billowing purple blossoms, while some jazzy live band performed on an outdoor stage..... So when we arrived down in the Elbow Park area of Calgary on Sunday and wandered over to 4th Street, I was not really expecting to walk into this.....



'Lilac' is a misnomer, as the festival is not about flora at all. It is actually several city blocks, lined with a plethora of booths and street vendors, live entertainment and beer gardens, and packed with people..... it's like a giant block party to kick off summer in the city.

And although it wasn't what I envisioned, it definitely was entertaining! The weather was gorgeous, and we cruised around until the crowds became impossible to navigate. At which time we found a table on an outdoor patio from which to spectate and have refreshments - all in all, an excellent way to spend a day!

A token lilac plant! The only one I could find.

Jaime and Toni, in a rare moment when we
were not being herded like cattle!

Random flower from Jaime's garden.

I love the back roads!

Evening clouds.

The week has flown by, and tomorrow I'm headed to Canmore for some more of my favorite, much needed outside time in the mountains. I can't wait!

Cheers!

















No comments: