Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Playing Hookie


Every once in awhile a person's just gotta skip out of work for the day, and for me, today was one of those days. Although I couldn't bring myself to call in sick - LOL! I took a legitimate vacation day and headed west to enjoy the +28C temps in the gorgeous Spray Lakes area.












A bit smokey, looking down over Ribbon Lake

The lazy haze of forest fire smoke did not dampen the loveliness of the varied scenery along the valley up to South Buller Pass. Speaking of fires, there was one which burned in the vicinity back in 2011, and the resulting scorched trees and lush colorful undergrowth made for some picturesque views. The whole group stopped for a leisurely lunch in the sunshine at the top of South Buller Pass, and then a few of us dropped down the east side and continued off-trail around to North Buller Pass.

Looking west (left photo) and looking southeast (right photo)
from North Buller Pass

Taking a quick break
at the much smaller north pass


After descending the ridiculously steep slope from North Buller Pass into the north fork valley, we picked up the sparse (meaning undefined at times) path which heads back towards the south fork trail. Having Mount Buller in full view was a treat for most of the way, and there was a neat little waterfall as well. And, in a fluke of excellent timing, we met up with the other half of the group precisely at the trail junction, which meant we all got to walk back to the cars together.

The day was stellar! But I do need to share a couple of tech tips with you about these passes: The South trail and pass are hands down more scenic than the North - I would not bother making North Buller Pass my sole destination. And if you ever decide to do the loop, hike it counter-clockwise as we did. The east slope of the south pass and the west slope of the north pass would be horrible uphill grinds. Coming down required some finesse for sure on the seemingly near-vertical grades, but I'd rather carefully slip-slide my way down the boulders and scree than slog, slog, slog my way up. UGH. Take poles and you will be fine!

Tomorrow, I'm off on a trip of a lifetime - heli-hiking in the Bugaboos. I can hardly contain myself and can't believe my luck! I'll be out of cell and wi-fi range for five whole days, with nothing to do except soak up the sights in some of the most beautiful terrain in North America. *SIGH* Poor, poor me!
So until next week.....

Cheers!




No comments: