Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Land of the Midnight Sun


They are on the same continent, but they're over 5000 km apart.... I've seen one, enjoyed it immensely, and now I think it's high time I see the other.

What the heck am I talking about?? Tombstones. Yes, you heard me correctly. No, not the thrash metal rock band, and no, not the kind that are often found toppled over in creepy graveyards. Of the Tombstones I'm referring to, one is a famous desert town - Tombstone, Arizona.... and the other is an amazing wilderness area - Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon.

Tombstone, Arizona
 

My sister lives in Phoenix, so on more than one occasion I've visited the cool, historical, wild wild west which has been so awesomely preserved in Tombstone, AZ.

Late this summer, I'm hoping to head in the opposite direction.... and backpack through Tombstone Territorial Park in the Yukon. The 9-day trek that I am considering signing up for will venture through surreal, remote, breathtaking landscape.

Image courtesy of Yukon Wild
Image courtesy of Fritz Mueller
This adventure would immediately precede my West Coast Trail trip, so August and September could end up being busy! But it's my favorite kind of busy - traveling to new places, meeting new people, with some extraordinary hiking thrown in as a major bonus! Hell yeah!

A few details still need to be worked out.... but the thought of all this sight seeing is super exciting! Love it! Stay tuned.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

keep this up and you will have to invest in NEW hiking boots,,lol..sounds like a good choice of entertainment for the summer,,,cheerio for now dunkster,,,,